Monday, February 23, 2009

Broccoli Cheese Soup


Broccoli Cheese Soup
Originally uploaded by musicpb
I made broccoli cheese soup tonight, from a really easy recipe my mom gave me.

Here's the soup recipe:

1 large bunch of broccoli - use stocks, as well, and remove before blending
4 cups chicken stock

1/2 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup finely chopped onion

1/2 cup flour
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
4 cups milk

2 cups cheese - optional for broccoli/cheese soup or sprinkle on top of cream of broccoli soup

Cook broccoli in chicken stock until tender - DO NOT DRAIN - cool a bit, remove broccoli stems, and run through blender (use hand blender) to desired texture - set aside.

Melt butter in large sauce pan - add onion and saute on medium heat until limp - DO NOT BROWN. Mix in flour, salt and pepper. Add milk - heat and stir until it boils and thickens. Add blended broccoli (and cheese, if desired and heat until melted).

It's super easy and so good!

11 comments:

a said...

I usually use veggie stock, and saute a bit of garlic with the onion.

mmmm one of my favourites.

Mia said...

i am making this right now, thanks!

Mrsfatface said...

I am going to try this out this weekend. Thanks for the recipe!

Southern Lady's Vintage said...

Sounds good! Mmmmmmm!

Erika said...

mmm mmm sounds delish!!

Anonymous said...

Um....YUMMMM!!!

Oh Mandie said...

oh this sounds yummy!! I'm so making this for dinner tommorow night!!

Nancy said...

I need to try this one day, I love Panera Bread's soup so much, I need to make my own.

Mindy said...

Sounds soo yummy.. I love broccoli and cheese soups.. always on the hunt for the perfect recipe!

apparentlyjessy said...

Hey this soup might even make me consider eating more broccoli! It looks yum!
Thanks for dropping by my little blog! I would love to enter you into the cupcake coin purse competition, just need you to become a follower to be eligible!
You have such a cute blog! I admire your html prowess!

Sarah said...

Yum Yum! this will most certainly be getting made tonight - thank you for the inspiration to not just open a tin! x x x x